Changes in Your Life and/or Work

These FAQs address the things to consider and steps to take if you experience a "life event" listed below.

  • What if I change my address?

    • Update your address and other contact information with the Fund Office, and be sure to update your information with your employer, as well.
    • If you are receiving your pension benefit from the Fund, you may change your address by sending written notification (Change of Address Form for Benefit Recipients available here, PDF) to the Fund Office or by calling. If you are a benefit recipient and you call, additional information (including written confirmation with your signature) may be required to make such a change.
    • All other participants may call, write, or update their address online.
  • What if I get married?

  • What if I get divorced or legally separated?

  • What if I am planning to retire?

    First, you will need to decide on your retirement effective date. In general, your Pension Effective Date (view explainer video) will be the first of the month following this date. Then, follow these steps:

  • What if I become disabled?

    If you become disabled, you may be eligible to receive a disability pension. The requirements are outlined in the plan's Summary Plan Description on page 17.

    View SPD in English (PDF)

    View SPD in Spanish (PDF)

    You may need to take these steps to apply for a disability pension:

    • Apply for disability benefits from the Social Security Administration.
    • Submit an application for disability pension; you may complete an application on-line (log-in required)blue_link.png or request a hard copy application from the Fund Office at 800-424-9608.
    • Provide a copy of your disability notification letter from the Social Security Administration. (Note: If a determination is still pending from the Social Security Administration do not hold your application; submit it as soon as possible.
  • What if I stop working under covered employment?

    • Keep the Fund notified of any change in your address on file with the Fund Office, as necessary.
    • Apply for your pension when you are ready to retire if you are vested and meet the eligibility requirements.
  • What if I return to work after retirement?

    If you return to work after you have retired and while you are receiving a pension from the National Pension Plan, your pension benefit payments may be suspended, depending upon your age and the type of work you are doing.

    If you are thinking about accepting any employment after you retire, you should take these steps:

  • What if I enter or return from active military duty?

    A person who is serving a period of qualified military service will be treated as if working in covered employment, to the extent required by the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).

    You may need to take these actions while entering or returning from active military duty:

    • Check your reemployment rights and plan eligibility criteria under USERRA.
    • Submit a copy of your military induction/separation orders (Form DD-214) to the Fund Office when you return to covered employment after your discharge from military service.
  • What if I die before retirement?

    If you die as a vested participant before going into pay status, a range of death benefits may be available to your beneficiary(ies) or surviving spouse. Refer to the National Pension Plan Summary Plan Description for more information about preretirement benefits.

    View SPD in English (PDF)

    View SPD in Spanish (PDF)

    Your beneficiary(ies) will need to take these steps to apply for death benefits if you die prior to going into pay status under the plan:

    • Contact the Fund to report a death and request a preretirement death application.
    • Provide a copy of your death certificate to the Fund Office.
    • Provide other documentation (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree or birth certificates), as requested by the Fund Office.
  • IAMNPF Image