Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
What if I get married?
- If you get married after your plan entry date, you may need to update your plan beneficiary information.
- When you apply for your pension benefits, you will need to send the Fund Office official copies of your marriage certificate and your spouse's birth certificate if electing 50%, 75% or 100% Joint and Survivor Benefit.
What if I get divorced or legally separated?
- If you get divorced or legally separated after your plan entry date, you may need to update your plan beneficiary information.
- Make sure that any Qualified Domestic Relation Orders are forwarded to the Fund Office for approval.
- When you apply for your pension benefits, send the Fund Office a copy of your divorce certificate with related agreements or legal separation if you have not previously submitted a Qualified Domestic Relations Order.
What if I die before retirement?
If you die as a vested participant before going into pay status, a range of death benefits may be available to your beneficiary(ies) or surviving spouse. Refer to the National Pension Plan Summary Plan Description for more information about preretirement benefits.
Your beneficiary(ies) will need to take these steps to apply for death benefits if you die prior to going into pay status under the plan:
- Contact the Fund to report a death and request a preretirement death application.
- Provide a copy of your death certificate to the Fund Office.
- Provide other documentation (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree or birth certificates), as requested by the Fund Office.
Can I name my estate as my beneficiary?
You may only designate people as beneficiaries. If none of your beneficiaries are alive at your death, any benefit payable may be made to your estate.
How do I change my beneficiary designation?
If you are not yet receiving pension benefits, you may download and return the Beneficiary Designation Form (PDF) to the Fund Office. You can also request the form by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by calling the Fund Office at 800-424-9608 and asking to be connected to the Pension Department.
If you are receiving pension benefits and you want to change your beneficiaries, you must do so in writing. You can request the Beneficiary Designation Form for Benefit Recipients from the Fund Office by email (email@example.com) or by calling 800-424-9608 ext. 277.