Tax Information

Pension benefit payments may be considered taxable income under the Internal Revenue Code. As such, plan benefit recipients need to submit their federal income tax withholding elections to the Fund office. You use Form W-4P (PDF)  to make your withholding elections.

View a notice from the Fund office regarding benefit recipients' 2017 tax withholding elections (PDF).

The Fund reports the pension benefit payments you receive each year to the IRS through Form 1099-R. You use this information to prepare your annual tax return. You can view and print a copy of your 2016 1099-R here (login required).blue_link.png

If you have questions about taxes and your pension plan benefit, we encourage you to contact a professional tax advisor.

  • IAMNPF Image

Carlos Bonilla—United Airlines/Ramp
Plan Participant

Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)

Can I be in the National Pension Plan and contribute to an IRA (Individual Retirement Account)?

Yes. However, you should consult with a tax advisor, as some tax benefits of an IRA are limited if you're also in a pension plan.

How do I change my income tax withholding or have taxes taken out of my benefit payment check?

You may complete this form online (login required)blue_link.png to indicate the correct amount of federal income tax to withhold from your pension benefit payments (login to your personal information required).

As an alternative, you may download and return Form W-4P (PDF) to the Fund Office. You can also request the form by email ( or by calling the Fund Office at 800-424-9608 ext. 277. The Fund Office can only withhold Federal income taxes. We do not withhold state and/or local income taxes.

View All FAQs »