A participant must submit a formal pension benefit application before his or her pension effective date to receive benefits from the Fund. You can apply online or submit your request for an application online or in writing. The Fund will officially receive your application the same day it is submitted online. Additional forms will be sent to you in order to make your online application complete.
To request a paper application, you can:
- Call the Fund office at 1-800-424-9608
- Fax the Fund office at 202-463-8098 or 202-457-8653 (please use this form when faxing a request)
- Mail this request form to the Fund office at 1300 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 300, Washington, D.C. 20036-1711
- E-mail the Fund by clicking here. (please view this form to see the information that should be included in your email request)
Whether you submit an online or paper application, you must supply the following information and documents with your application:
- Date of birth, along with your birth certificate
- Social Security number
- Name(s) of all contributing employers for whom you've worked
- Type of benefit for which you are applying
- Intended retirement date
- Last day worked
- Marital status
- Marriage certificate (if married)
- Divorce decree (if applicable)
- Spouse's date of birth, along with his/her birth certificate
- Phone number
To comply with federal law, participants can apply for a pension up to 180 days before their intended pension effective date. When you apply, the Fund will provide you with estimates of your pension and information about the different forms of payment available. However, at any time you can calculate an estimate of your pension benefit (login required) or request an estimate using this form.
The following chart can help you determine when to make your pension application request:
Refer to the National Pension Plan Summary Plan Description (SPD)—"How Do You Apply for Pension Benefits" section—for more information.